McCausey Lumber Company (Union City, Michigan) was founded in the early 1900’s by Mr. John W. McCausey, providing industrial lumber and timber products. In 1936, Thomas J. McCausey joined the company, and broadened the product line with construction lumber and building materials for the contractor trades.
In the early 1940’s, Mr. George T. Gilleran, a residential builder and long time customer of McCausey Lumber, partnered with Thomas McCausey and together went into the box and pallet business, servicing the military with packaging needs for the wartime efforts. In 1947, the business was moved to Detroit, Michigan where it continued to service the builder trades and fabricate specialty boxes and pallets. Upon the passing of Thomas McCausey, George T. Gilleran purchased the entire business from the McCausey family estate.
Over the years, several of George’s family members worked for the company, in between schooling and military obligations. In 1954, Mr. Kenneth R. Roach, George’s son-in-law, joined the McCausey Lumber as an outside salesman. In 1960, George’s son, James R. Gilleran, finished college and returned to the family business as General Manager. The company continued to prosper, primarily servicing commercial contractors. Upon the passing of George in April 1972, Jim and Ken purchased the business from the family estate.
In the early 70’s, as the Metro Detroit market became saturated with builder supply yards, Jim and Ken made the bold decision to diversify. The objective was to become more specialized and less dependent upon sales of typical construction items. McCausey Lumber Company began importing and aligned itself with some of the world’s leading producers of specialty wood products in Scandinavia and Europe. Ultimately, McCausey was representing manufacturers in Finland, Germany, the Far East, and South America.